Monday 25 August 2008

Applique and Nursery Rhymes

its been just over a week since my last blog - slipping already. thanks for the comments - i have to agree that the framing just adds so much to the cross-stitches.

for the next few weeks, I am going to post pictures of my current project - a baby quilt for my neice. it is in all in applique and its the biggest quilt i have done. following are two blocks - neither quite finished!! I have buttonholed stitched in matching thread (2 strands DMC) , fixing the applique in place with 'bondaweb' (uk name) or as I know it as 'fusible webbing'. I am not sure the scale of the blocks come through - this on is approx 24" by 14" plus border.
this quilt has tested my skills at matching colours. even though each block has come with a picture, I have tried to follow the colour scheme whilst using fabrics from my stash. and of course in the uk it is hard to get fabrics of a similar style, unless i go on-line. being on a bit of budget, I have tried to only buy fabric where I really really don't have another option already - bit of a challenge!

3 comments:

Emma said...

These are looking really good! How are you finding it working on such large pieces? Applique is something I've hardly ventured into - I'm getting there slowly!

Jo said...

Hi Emma
not sure where to respond to you but here goes! I find the big pieces very easy to do. and not challenging at all (and i think the next one I do will be a bit more challenging). blanket stitching by hand around the outside I find quite relaxing, and again the big pieces mean you don't have to be that consistent in the length and spacing, and if you choose matching thread, it hides any inconsistencies even more. I got into applique by doing an applique sampling at my local fabric shop in canberra (hobbeysew in belconnen), and that used lots of different methods. apart from this method, I liked needleturn.

Emma said...

I like the clean lines of needleturn, but I think I ned to find a class on ti to figure it out properly, my attempts have been painstaking, and I'm sure I'm not quite getting it right!